Jump to navigation Jump to search
- An entity that verifies, maintains, manages, and may create and assign identity information of other entities.
- An entity that manages identity information. Verification and creation may be done by other parties.(Wallace)
- An entity that maintains and provides identity information for entities employed or associated within a set context. (D'Agostino, Krum)
- An entity that verifies authentication and asserts one or more identifiers bound to the authenticated entity.(Fenton)
- A network entity providing the Digital Identity claims used by a Relying Party.
Value and Context for Use in IDESG
The Identity Provider is one of the three major categories of Digital Entity along with User Agent and Relying Party.
NSTIC Definition: [Organization] responsible for establishing, maintaining, and securing the digital identity associated with that subject. These processes include revoking, suspending, and restoring the subject's digital identity if necessary. The identity provider may also verify the identity of and sign up (enroll) a subject. IDPs issue credentials. NSTIC Strategy
- ITU-T X.1252
- A trusted entity that issues or registers subscriber tokens and issues electronic credentials to subscribers. The Identity Provider may encompass Registration Authorities and verifiers that it operates. An Identity Provider may be an independent third party, or may issue credentials for its own use. FICAM TFPAP 1.0.1
- The IdMS system component that issues Assertions. InCommon IAAF 1.1
- The originating location for a user. Previously called the Origin Site in the Shibboleth software implementation. For InCommon, an IdP is a campus or other organization that manages and operates an identity management system and offers information about members of its community to other InCommon participants. InCommon Glossary
- A kind of service provider that creates, maintains, and manages identity information for principals and provides principal authentication to other service providers (relying parties) within a federation, such as with web browser profiles. SAML 2.0
- A kind of service provider that creates, maintains, and manages identity information for principals and provides principal authentication to other service providers within a federation, such as with web browser profiles. OASIS SAML Glossary 2.0
Quick Links: Taxonomy | Taxonomy Project Management | Taxonomy AHG Catalog | Taxonomy AHG Glossary |