- A named thing that exists, e.g., a person, organization, device, software application or service.
- Any named digital end-point providing or using identity services. Also known as a Digital Entity. (This definition is used by the IDEF registry.)
An entity may have an identifier that can be verified.
Example: Entities include individuals and organizations as well as devices and logical artifacts such as data and software. The term Non Person Entity (NPE) can refer to organizations as well as devices, software components (application, operating system or firmware) or services (web sites, validation services, etc.)
- MC Approved
- BFR Approved
- By this definition a real-world organization is know by its digital Identifier(s) on the web.
- Note that other presences on the web, including transient sessions, or named documents, can have Identifiers.
- However, an Entity is assume to be represented by an active web end point(s).